Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Checklist

Question: What do you do when you've completed everything on your long-term "to do" checklist? 

My "To Do" List:
1. Take a graduate course. CHECK
2. Study for the GRE. CHECK
3. Take the GRE. CHECK
4. Get good enough scores on the GRE. CHECK
5. Get two letters of recommendation. CHECK
6. Complete and submit application to graduate school. CHECK
7. Wait. CHECK
8. Wait some more... CHECK?

Well, I'll tell you what I have been doing: seeing friends, hanging with the hubs, reading, laundry, and watching a lot of TV. Oh, yeah, and now I've moved on to obsessive cleaning. It all sounds pretty normal (maybe not the cleaning), except for some reason, it doesn't feel normal. It feels like I'm missing something. Like now that my class is over, Christmas break came and went, and I'm done getting everything in order for school, I don't have a purpose. Sure, I still work 40 hours a week, but work has been slow lately, and I don't have a lot that is challenging my mind. I got in a really good rhythm of balancing work and my class, while still having plenty of time for fun -- and I miss that!

It's so weird, because up until a few months ago, this WAS my rhythm. Work was my main responsibility, and it felt sufficient. I'm guessing that living ten minutes from work and having an extra 1.25 hours in my day has something to do with this feeling, but there must be more to it. Why do I feel so antsy? Any ideas of how I can NOT feel guilty for having nothing to do at night?

That's all for now. And hey, I blogged, so that's something fairly productive I did today (...or is it?). :-]

H



No comments:

Post a Comment